Pokmon Go Adventure Week returns for a second year, and once again takes place in late May, increasing the encounter rates of certain creatures.
Trainers will encounter increased numbers of rock Pokmon, with the likes of Lileep, Omanyte and Aerodactyl cited, as well as an decrease in buddy distances, shorter Buddy Distances and more.
On this page:
What time does the Pokmon Go rock event Adventure Week start and end?
The Pokmon Go rock event began on Thursday, May 24th and is set to end on Tuesday, June 5th at the following times:
- UK: 9pm (BST)
- Europe: 10pm (CEST)
- West Coast US: 1am (PDT)
- East Coast US: 4pm (EDT)
Lileep, Aerodactyl, Kabuto, Omanyte and other rock Pokmon likely to appear in the event
According to Niantic, we can expect to see more “rock-type Pokmon” to appear in the wild throughout the event. A handful have been confirmed so far, though as with previous events, we can suspect a few others to appear too.
Confirmed rock event Pokmon in the wild:
- Kabuto and evolution Kabutops
- Omanyte and evolution Omastar
- Lileep and evolution Cradily
- Geodude and evolutions Graveler and Goldem
All other rock Pokmon we also may see more of:
- Rhyhorn and evolution Rhydon (both Rock / Ground types)
- Shuckle (Bug / Rock type)
- Magcargo (Fire / Rock type)
- Larvitar and evolutions Pupitar (both Rock / Ground types) and Tyanitar (Rock / Dark type)
- Anorith and Armaldo (Rock / Bug type)
New Adventure Week Raid bosses:
- Kabuto, Omanyte, Anorith, Lileep (Tier 1)
- Magcargo, Nosepass, Sudowoodo, Mawile (Tier 2)
- Shuckle, Solrock (regional), Lunatone (regional), Aerodactyl (Tier 3)
- Rhydon, Golem (Tier 4)
Thanks to TheSorites on reddit for help filling in gaps with the above.
Note that while Corsola is a water / rock type, and Lunatone and Solrock are rock / psychic, it is also a region exclusive, so unless you already live in their specific regions don’t expect to see them.
Rock Pokmon tend to be one of the more uncommon types in the game, so this event is most welcome. Aerodactyl is a fairly rare Pokmon from the first generation, while Kabuto, Omanyte and Lileep are fairly uncommon in most regions.
While Larvitar and its evolutions could show up, between them not showing up in numbers last year and a dedicated Community Day just round the corner, the chances of this are probably unlikely.
Other events in the past, such as the Water Festival and Grass Event, saw increased appearance rates of themed creatures everywhere, not just in their natural biomes, and it’s the same with Adventure Week 2018.
This event is also a great chance to get Candy for any creatures you haven’t evolved yet for your Pokedex. For example, assuming Onix turns up, getting Candy to evolve into a Steelix with a Metal Coat is a good idea.
What else you need to know about the Pokmon Go rock event Adventure Week
Alongside increased rock spawns, Pokmon Go is also introducing several bonuses for the duration of the event.
1) Buddy Pokmon will earn Candy 4x faster
This means Buddy Distances for all creatures will be reduced like so:
|Buddy Distance before (km)||Buddy Distance after (km)|
2) Extra XP for spinning Photo Discs
Spinning Photo Discs will give you additional XP, with 10 times more up for grabs for any Discs you haven’t visited before:
- Visited Photo Disc – 100 XP (previously 50 XP)
- Unvisited Photo Disc – 2100 XP (previously 250 XP)
This means that visiting new locations will give you huge gains. Couple that with a XP doubling Lucky Egg and it can be a surprisingly lucrative way of getting additional experience over the next few weeks.
3) New Shinies
As predicted, new Shiny Pokmon have been released to coincide with the event.
- Kabuto (and evolution Kabutops)
- Omanyte (and evolution Omastar)
Though they will remain shiny after the event ends, the increased spawns mean your chances of finding them is far more likely. Our Shiny Pokmon page gives you a lowdown of everything you need to know about these special forms.
(Credit: @Kelven91 ) pic.twitter.com/3PL6zfkICv
— MYSTIC7 (@MYSTIC7) May 24, 2018
4) New Research quests
Not unlike recent Community Day events, Adventure Week comes with its own themed Research quests with rewards to match.
- Hatch 2 Eggs (reward: 1x Rare Candy)
- Spin 2 Pokstops you haven’t visited before (reward: Onix)
- Hatch 3 Eggs (reward: Omanyte)
- Earn 3 Buddy Candies (reward: Kabuto)
- Evolve Kabuto or Omanyte (reward: Aerodactyl)
When you consider most rewards are found easily in the wild, it’s a pretty underwhelming list. Thankfully, existing Research quests are still available, so if none of them suit your tastes, feel free to bin them and collect another.
Thanks to Araaf on reddit for helping with the above.
Want more Pokmon go tips and tricks? As well as the currently active Rock-type Adventure Week and Legendary Pokmon Latios and Latias encounters, there’s new Alolan Forms coming soon. We also have 2km, 5km and 10km Egg charts, region exclusives and Buddy distances pages to help you complete your Gen 3 Pokmon collection. You can also read up on the next Pokmon Go Fest and Safari Zone events, as well as the next Community Day and when it’s happening – it’s your best chance of catching new Shinies!
What happened with Pokmon Go rock event Adventure Week last year?
If you’re curious, here’s what changed in the game while the 2017 Adventure Week was active:
1) Pok Balls was 50% off in the game’s shop:
- 20 Pok Balls (50 Pok Coins, down from 100)
- 100 Pok Balls (230 Pok Coins, down from 430)
- 200 Pok Balls (400 Pok Coins, down from 800)
2) “More items” were awarded from every PokStop visit – so more Balls, Berries and curatives.
3) Buddy Pokemon dropped Candies four times as fast as usual:
- 1km is now 0.25km
- 3km is now 0.75km
- 5km is now 1.25km
4) A new Avatar item was made available – the ‘Explorer’s Hat’.